Bookmark this page Join our RSS Feed Email us Follow us on Twitter Join us on Facebook



From 1st October 2008, if you’re letting a property the law requires you to provide an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) to prospective tenants and purchasers.

An EPC is also required when marketing a property for sale.

Home Information Packs (HIPs) – The government has announced that HIPs have been suspended from 21st May 2010, they are no longer required when marketing a property for sale on or after 21st May 2010, although an EPC is.

An EPC is a legal requirement for any new tenancies that begin on or after 1 October 2008, detailing the energy performance of a property. It is carried out by an accredited Domestic Energy Assessor to ensure it meets all legal requirements and is valid for 10 years.

H&G can organise a complete EPC on your behalf for only £99 + VAT*.

Landlords FAQs

  • What is an EPC?
    An EPC stands for an Energy Performance Certificate and will provide a Grade from A to G for the building with A being the most energy efficient and G being the least. The average grading to date is a D.
  • When Do Landlords need to get an EPC?
    Every property on the market on 1 October 2008 onwards must have an EPC. It is an offence for Landlords to let a property without an EPC from 1 October 2008.
  • When does a Landlord need one?
    Before viewings for a lettings property can be arranged, an EPC must be completed or ordered (proof of order may be required).
  • How long to they last for?
    EPCs last 10 years so the Landlord does not need to do one every year
  • Do we need to get them for Renewals and existing Tenancies?
    No, EPCs are only required for new tenancies and not renewals. An EPC is not required if the Tenants moved in before 1 October 2008.
  • How much does it cost?
    H&G can organise a complete EPC on your behalf for only £99 + VAT*.
  • How do I organise an EPC?
    As an H&G customer we can arrange everything for you.
  • What do we do with the EPC when we have it?
    A tenant may ask to see the whole report which you can give them.

*Subject to instructing H&G to let your property.

© Hamnett & Ganpot Ltd 2010. All rights reserved